NCCA-Artsplace 2017 Statewide Photography Competition:
Our goal is to exhibit and acknowledge the finest photographers in the State of Michigan and encourage greater growth and achievement in the photographic community. This is a juried competition. Selected works will be exhibited and among them will be the honor of 1st, 2nd, 3rd place and honorable mentions receiving ribbons and cash awards ($250, $150, $100, $50).
Juror: Anthony Thompson
Anthony Thompson is Professor of Photography in the School of Communications at Grand Valley State University in Allendale, Michigan, where he is a former Director of the school and is now head of the school’s photography program. He earned a B.S. in Physics from the University of Dallas and an M.F.A. in Photography from Washington University in Saint Louis. A native of Colorado, he has lived and worked in Rome, Italy as a freelance photographer, and has previously worked as a photographer in several mid-west commercial advertising studios.
Anthony’s personal photographic work has been included in numerous juried exhibitions nationally and internationally, including several one and two-person exhibitions at university and commercial galleries. His recent work has included a documentary project on nuclear weapons facilities in the American west, and a series of work in photogravure and other alternative processes that combines photography, printmaking, and sculpture. His work is included in several collections, including the Museum of Contemporary Photography in Chicago-Midwest Photographer’s Project, the Wisconsin State Historical Society, the Rocky Flats Cold War Museum collection in Colorado, in addition to several university and private collections. His photographs have been published in Vision Magazine, High Country News, View Camera magazine, Camera and Darkroom magazine, and in academic journals.
Entries Due – Thursday, April 13, 8:00 p.m.
Acceptance Notification – April 20
Exhibit Opens – April 26
Reception and Awards – Saturday, April 29, 10:00 a.m.-Noon
Exhibit Closes – May 20
Pick-up All Work by June 10
• Must be Michigan resident, 18 or older, to submit work.
• Work must be framed and ready to display or finished appropriately.
• All photographic processes are accepted.
• NCCA reserves the right to decline artwork for any reason.
• Accepted work may be placed for sale during the exhibit.
• A 30% commission is charged on all sales during exhibit.
• Each eligible photographer may submit up to two photographs.
• All entries must be delivered to NCCA by April 13, 8:00 p.m.
• Entry labels must be firmly affixed to the back of the entries.
• Please indicate the photographic process in your description. For example, 35 mm, digital, medium format, silver gelatin, sepia tone, etc.
• Do not submit prints that have been previously exhibited at NCCA-Artsplace.
• Work may be shipped, include pre-paid return shipping labels if you would like us to return work.
• The NCCA will take every precaution to ensure protection of artwork, however, we will not be responsible for any loss, damage or theft.
• Any artwork left after June 10 may become property of NCCA unless other arrangements have been made.
• Send or drop off completed entry form, framed work and include a payment made to NCCA for the non-refundable entry fee of $25 Member or $30 Non-Member, to:
2017 Statewide Photo Competition
Newaygo County Council for the Arts
13 East Main St. Fremont, MI 49412